As someone who is generally a terrible baker, I’m proud to make the first recipe on Asura News a savory dish.
To the best of my knowledge, this isn’t a dish that you can find easily in-game. Perhaps one of the merchants sells it, a fact that I could confirm if I searched hard enough, but why bother? I’ve got steaks to cook.
So winterberries are a real thing. They are, however, poisonous in terms of consumption, so using actual winterberries was out. There are a number of berries that would be perfect for the picture, but would be unsuitable either because of the presence of seeds, or merely due to bad taste combinations. Strawberries became the obvious berry to use.
Don’t let these nice-looking steaks fool you. They are so cheap. Or maybe you can tell that they are. I couldn’t. But the size and shape were perfect.
These were about a half-inch thick, so I think with the stove on medium-high, 2.5 minutes on each side was good, if you want the steaks to be medium temperature. That’s my ideal. Not like it made a difference with these cheap things.
But, wow. The strawberries. Use ripe strawberries, maybe even a little overripe, because the texture is already where you want it to be, and I think they’re usually a little sweeter. The combination of the strawberries, wine, and bay leaves were great together, though the bay leaves should be chopped, even minced, before being added. I very roughly chopped them, believing they would further break down while cooking, but they never did.
Or you could just put them in whole and let the flavors incorporate–oh my gosh, that’s the whole point of herbs. Why don’t I think before doing things?
I realize that I picked the bay leaves purely for aesthetic reasons, but they were truly the best herb to use for this recipe. It brought an earthiness that fit well with the strawberries and kept it from going overboard with the sweetness.
Anyway, here is the recipe:
Two boneless steaks (rib-eye, probably, if you want to get that shape)
1/2 cup red wine (preferably Cabernet)
1/2 cup strawberries, de-stemmed and halved
[Your preferred steak seasoning]
- Trim the fat off of the steaks; set aside in a room-temperature environment.
- In a small bowl, mix salt, pepper, and/or preferred steak seasoning, enough to season both sides of both steaks.
- Set aside the three prettiest/longest bay leaves (if you want to follow that picture). Mince or chop three to four of the other bay leaves.
- Heat up a small saucepan on medium.
- Once it’s preheated, add the wine and chopped bay leaves to the pan. Leave it for five minutes, periodically lowering the heat to keep the wine at a low boil.
- Add the strawberries to the wine and bring the heat back up to medium. Keep it on the heat for ten minutes, occasionally stirring.
- On another stovetop, heat up a large pan on medium-high. Liberally season both sides of the steaks with the salt and pepper mixture.
- Right before dropping the steaks in, put butter or oil on the pan.
- Cook the steaks to your preferred temperature. Remove from heat.
- Plate the steaks and pour the strawberry/wine sauce on top.
And there we go. I absolutely love how much liberty the dish allows you to take while still being faithful to both the in-game avatar and the recipe. When we start baking, this freedom will be non-existent.